[CentOS] how to connect to a switch with a serial cable? - what command(s) to use?

Guy Boisvert boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Thu Nov 27 12:53:06 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see one of our switches doesn't want to respond to HTTPS or SSH
> commands, and I know it's connected to a server via a serial cable.
> I'm 3 hours drive from that server at the moment, so how can I connect
> to it from the Linux server, via SSH?

Hi Rudi,

	First, what brand / model of switch is it?  Cisco? HP?

Cisco & HP support:

- Serial Connection
- Telnet
- Web
- SSH

But be aware that supported connection type varies from model to model
and with firmware version / config.

For example, on Cisco switches, you won't get SSH if it's not configured
properly.  On Cisco, serial is always enable out of the box so you can
configure it.  It takes their "blue cable" (their are models with the
black one too) and default serial settings are 9600,8,n,1.

Hope this helps.

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.