[CentOS] installation help

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 20:15:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Kevin Kempter
<kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to instal CentOS on my new laptop but I've run into a few issues.
> It's a Dell Precision M6400 - I'm installing CentOS 5 (64bit) running KDE

I have an old Toshiba Tecra 8100 w/P3-600 and CentOS 5.2 32 bit, so
there will be extreme variances, but....

> I have 3 issues:
>
> 1) I cannot get the wireless to work

I had trouble with this, too.  I have a DLink USB wireless plugin,
which may be part of the problem, but I wound up using ndiswrapper and
the Window$ driver, and that seems to work as long as I can remember
the right sequence of commands to execute to ensure that it is up and
running.  (Need to script that....)

> 2) I cannot get sound to work

You might want to post some info on what kind of sound processor is in
your machine.  I can't help you here - my sound works fine.

> 3) I cannot get the full screen resolution
> I can go to administration --> display and under the 'Hardwae' tab I can
> configure the display as a generic or as a Dell 1920x1200 but no matter what
> I choose the 'Settings' tab only lets me choose a max of 1400x1050

Have you gone to system->preferences->screen resolution and set that
as well?  I could not get any widescreen modes to work with my (home)
desktop system and a new 22"WS monitor until I did that.  Then they
all worked.

Also, check your xorg.conf file to make sure all the possible modes
are there - sometimes you have to edit in the Modes line with all the
resolutions your monitor can handle.

> I can get the wireless and sound to work in Fedora 10 but I'm not sure how to
> tell specifically what devices they are.. I thought I could use Fedora 10 to
> help debug the sound & wireless.

Whole different animal - different kernel and everything else down the
line.  Probably not going to help much.

HTH

mhr