[CentOS] Clone ATA to SATA HDD

Shade.GE shade.ge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 20:35:00 UTC 2008

Hi all,

im going crazy. I have one ATA disc with CentOS 5.2 and LVM, the LVM
structure is:

 --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01

Here comes the challende, i need to clone that ATA disc to a SATA disc.
The thing is, i don't longer need the LVM structure because i need so
make a softraid 1 later.
My plan was:

1. Boot from a live cd and rsync all content to the sata disc.
2. Partition /boot (sda1), / (sda3), and swap (sda2)  (sda1 bootable)
2. Make a new initrd image without LVM
3. Install grub on /dev/sda1
3. Boot as test
4. Make a softraid 1 with the second SATA drive.

The only problem now is, i cannot boot from the new SATA drive. I run
into a kernel panic (Kernel not syncing). I try'd everything possible,
in mtab of the sata was the LVM path, i changed it and also the grub
menue the fstab and so on...

How can i get of that LVM and clone it to the new SATA drive?

Thanks for advice and best greetings

Wolfgang