[CentOS] Reassemble software RAID

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Sat Nov 29 23:47:28 UTC 2008

I'm still having a problem with this software-RAID setup. I restructured
the disk layout, so that I have the exact same partition layout on both
disks. But now I cannot boot from the new md device.
The important devices are:

/dev/md0 with /boot (made from sda1 and sdb1)
/dev/md2 with / (made only from sda1)
/dev/sdb2 with / (to be added to md2 once booting from md2 works)

The problem is that if I boot the kernel into /dev/md2 it errors out with
"cannot mount /dev/root" when switching root. I can boot fine by using the
/ filesystem on /dev/sdb2. initrd contains raid1.ko, so the mdraid driver
is not missing driver.

Any hints what could be wrong?

Kai

--