[CentOS] NameVirtualHost and CGI Problems

Michael Peterson mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com
Mon Oct 13 03:24:09 UTC 2008


Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Michael Peterson wrote on Thu, 9 Oct 2008 20:03:13 -0500 (CDT):
>
>   
>> I run a Virtual Host entry without a ServerName directive and have been
>> through several releases of CentOS and Apache and all works fine for me.
>>     
>
> You can do that, it depends on your configuration. A standard name-based 
> virtual host configuration will not work without a ServerName directive, 
> because it's that directive (and the ServerAlias ones) that has to match 
> what the client sends as Host header.
> Have a look at the documentation instead of guessing ;-)
>
> Kai
>
>   

I did not guess.
I have always consulted the documentation first.
I have my Apache configuration file setup according the currently 
available Apache documentation.

Pardon my lack of sleep after consulting my configuration file again.
I do not use ServerAlias at all.
I do use ServerName for all of my VirtualHost entries however.

Please do not assume people guess just because they do not provide a 
link to back up the information they provide.
If it is not an answer from experience only, I take it that maybe to 
please those that need it I should post a link for reference in the future.
I am doing tasks with CentOS that are however undocumented other than by 
me at the present time in some cases however.

I have been working with Apache for over 8 years and do not belong to 
just this list thank you.
I consult any available manuals and online documentation first before 
asking a list anything.

After such a blatant insult I should think about dropping this list.
But I think other than your lack of disregard for my try at providing 
assistance to the list.
I have something to offer even if no one else is doing the things I am 
doing with CentOS at the present time.
I think for the time being other than a post I am working on to answer a 
post I made earlier this month that has went unanswered so far that I 
will just watch and learn and try to keep my fingers quiet as much as 
possible as far as this list is concerned.

In your first sentence you say "You can do that, it depends on your 
configuration. ".
Did you consult the documentation or are you asking me to do it for you.

Here is one of the sources for the Name Virtual Host issue resolutions: 
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

This example is straight from the documentation listed above.

"
|NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.domain.tld
ServerAlias domain.tld *.domain.tld
DocumentRoot /www/domain
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.otherdomain.tld
DocumentRoot /www/otherdomain
</VirtualHost>
"

There is no ServerAlias for the second VirtualHost entry.
This is per the Apache standard straight from the available current 
online documentation.

I only use ServerName and have not tried ServerAlias.
I hope this solves the NameVIrtualHost issue for the time being at least.

|
Michael



More information about the CentOS mailing list