[CentOS] DHCP static hosts and subnet configuration

Marcus Moeller mm at gcug.de
Wed Oct 15 18:49:20 UTC 2008

Dear Paul.

> You can assign multiple host blocks for the same NIC, using a fixed-address
> directive in one but not in other. dhcpd will try for the best match. If the
> request arrives from subnet-B, and the fixed address is on that net, then
> that's the block that gets used. Otherwise, the less specific block will be
> used. E.g.,
>
>  host myhost {
>    hardware ethernet 11:22:33:44:55:66;
>    fixed-address 172.16.1.1;
^^ modified
>  }
>  host myhost-roam {
>    hardware ethernet 11:22:33:44:55:66;
>  }

Hmm, that does not really work on two different subnets. I have tried
to add a host declaration with fixed-address on the 'static' Subnet B
and one on the dynamic Subnet A with just the MAC address and
ddns-domain-name.

The client won't obtain an IP address on subnet A unless I add a
fixed-address declaration to it, too.

Marcus