[CentOS] kickstart problems

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:59:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Romeo Ninov <rninov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):
>

>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net <mailto:
>> centos at linuxpowered.net>> wrote:
>>
>>    Paolo Supino wrote:
>>    > Hi Nate
>>    >

>>    > 3: After the error comes up I get the HTTP setup configuration
>>    screen with
>>    > the source website (in IP) and CentOS directory as I entered
>>    them in the
>>    > pxeconfiguration file and as it appears in the kickstart
>>    configuration file
>>    > and all I have to do is press the 'OK' button to continue the
>>    installation
>>    > to a successful completion.
>>
>>    If that's the case the next most likely culprit is
>>
>>    > url --url http://192.168.11.1/source
>>

>>    Just because the PXE boot loader can download the kickstart
>>    config does not mean that the installation process will work
>>    with that NIC.
>>
>>    Also I've had lots of broadcom systems not work with kickstart over
>>    the years, it's not uncommon for newer systems to have newer
>>    revs of the chipsets and those revs not being supported by the
>>    installer.
>>
>>    But it sounds like in your case it does work, so I would look
>>    at the url above, as it likely is the cause of the problem. Check
>>    the http access logs on the server for 404s and similar errors.
>>
>>    nate

>> Hi Nate
>>
>>  After figuring what I was doing wrong (see previous reply ...) I started
>> going through each of my systems in order to boot them and install CentOS
>> 5.2 on each. For the most part it works, but only for the most part? Because
>> once in a few boots (not machine specific) anaconda stops and either asks me
>> what interface it needs to configure or fails to load 'stage2.img' from the
>> web server on 192.168.11.1 <http://192.168.11.1> ... All cables are good
>> cables. The network switch is a Cisco 3750G with no configuration) and all
>> the NICs are broadcom with firmware 3.8.9. <http://3.8.9.> Can you throw
>> a guess where the problem might be lying (I hate inconsistencies)?
>>

>>  Have you check apache logs for something. Check also the server messages

Hi Romeo

  Yes I did, and nothing shows up in either access_log or error_log :-(
I just had a node that stopped asking me for IP configuration (twice) and
only on the second time (checked on the server using tcpdump) did it
actually try to contact the server to retrieve network configuration
continue and it successfully retrieved 'stage2.img' from the web server :-(

--
TIA
Paolo