[CentOS] Adding patch to Centos Kernel - early build failure

Dunc centos at duncb.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 16:31:07 UTC 2008

Dunc wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I'm trying to add the patch mentioned in this thread to the plain
> Centos kernel
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-August/062845.html
>
> I've followed the directions on the wiki for building a custom kernel,
> but after applying all the patches it fails with:
>
> make[1]: *** [nonint_oldconfig] Error 4
> make: *** [nonint_oldconfig] Error 2
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.74263 (%prep)
>
> RPM build errors:
>    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.74263 (%prep)
Just to follow up on this, the patch meant nonint_oldconfig was
expecting some more config options in the .config.

I had to add:

CONFIG_PATA_ISAPNP=n
CONFIG_PATA_LEGACY=n
CONFIG_PATA_QDI=n
CONFIG_PATA_WINBOND_VLB=n

to the base and PAE configs, and then the build continued. No idea if
putting n was the right option, but I'm sure i'll find out when I run
the kernel..

cheers

Dunc