[CentOS] kickstart problems

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:41:50 UTC 2008

> hi,
>
> we had the same problem with newer HP pcs and servers (broadcom nics).
> pxe works well on broadcom, the install not. doesn't matter if you're
> using kickstart or manual install.
>
> the problem was in centos 4.2. after updating the install environment to
> 4.5 the problem was gone... so it was a driver issue! the install kernel
> is not exactly the normal linux kernel i think.
>
> if anaconda just says that it cannot find install image, etc. the system
> has no connectivity at this time.
>
> hope this is helpful...
>
> bests
>  marco
>
> Paolo Supino wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Romeo Ninov <rninov at gmail.com
> > <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):
> >

> >         On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Romeo Ninov <rninov at gmail.com
> >         <mailto:rninov at gmail.com> <mailto:rninov at gmail.com
> >         <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >

> >            Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):
> >

> >                On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM, nate
> >         <centos at linuxpowered.net <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>
> >                <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
> >         <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>>
> >                <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
> >         <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>
> >
> >                <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
> >         <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>>>> wrote:
> >
> >                   Paolo Supino wrote:
> >                   > Hi Nate
> >                   >

> >                   > 3: After the error comes up I get the HTTP setup
> >                configuration
> >                   screen with
> >                   > the source website (in IP) and CentOS directory as I
> >         entered
> >                   them in the
> >                   > pxeconfiguration file and as it appears in the
> kickstart
> >                   configuration file
> >                   > and all I have to do is press the 'OK' button to
> >         continue the
> >                   installation
> >                   > to a successful completion.
> >
> >                   If that's the case the next most likely culprit is
> >
> >                   > url --url http://192.168.11.1/source
> >

> >                   Just because the PXE boot loader can download the
> >         kickstart
> >                   config does not mean that the installation process
> >         will work
> >                   with that NIC.
> >
> >                   Also I've had lots of broadcom systems not work with
> >                kickstart over
> >                   the years, it's not uncommon for newer systems to have
> >         newer
> >                   revs of the chipsets and those revs not being
> >         supported by the
> >                   installer.
> >
> >                   But it sounds like in your case it does work, so I
> >         would look
> >                   at the url above, as it likely is the cause of the
> >         problem.
> >                Check
> >                   the http access logs on the server for 404s and
> >         similar errors.
> >
> >                   nate

> [...]

Hi Marco

 Thanx for the email. I've been debugging this problem for a few days and a
few installs before I posted the first email in this thread I started
sniffing the network interface on the server (dhcp, tftp, http are all on
the same computer) and I noticed that no communication reaches the server
between the PXE load and the retrieval error (and I think I wrote about it
in my original post). Some people suggested that it might be that Linux gets
confused in the interfaces (the Sun X2200 M2 has 4 NICs), which I find hard
to believe (Linux kernel is old enough and probably got rid of these kind of
bugs a long time ago). In some of the failures the kernel loaded, retrieved
the kickstart configuration file and than failed to retrieve 'stage2.img'
(again nothing appeared on the wire). I have a sneaky feeling that the
kickstart process assumes a lot of basic facts and doesn't do any/enough
sanity checking. Right now I need to get this cluster up and running (I'm
already 2 weeks behind schedule). After it's up I will try to debug the
process.
  The situation got me so aggravated that I was contemplating resurrecting
my old private distro (not going to do that) that does things in a much
simpler way.

--
ttyl
Paolo