[CentOS] kickstart problems

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 22:02:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:47 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> Paolo Supino wrote:
> >
> >   The situation got me so aggravated that I was contemplating
> resurrecting
> > my old private distro (not going to do that) that does things in a much
> > simpler way.
>
> I'm virtually certain it's not using the NIC you think it is,
> try the other NICs, and find out which NIC maps to which ethernet
> device and adjust your configs accordingly.
>
> This is a VERY common problem. I see it all the time.
>
> But if you want to make things hard on yourself that's your
> choice...
>
> nate

Hi Nate

  I will check this out (I don't like to leave things hanging in the air)
I still disagree with what your saying: if this was the case than Linux
would (potentially) map ETH devices differently every time a multi NIC
system boots. While I've been away from managing Linux systems for a good
few years I'm sure this kind of unpredictable behavior would have caused
Linux to be thrown out of the window on all multihomed configuration (i.e.
firewalls, routers etc ...), and Microsoft to publisize and abuse it against
Linux in any of their smear capaigns to the point that it would have been
picked up by the leading tech media for me to hear about it. In addtion it
would have been a known issue for developers to find work arounds to
overcome this debilitating issue.
  Please don't get angry with me or my point of view. It's not anything
personal. If I wrote anything that sounded offensive or personally directed
in your direction I apologize. There was definitely no pun from my side.

--
TIA
Paolo