[CentOS] A new blog on the block for Linux newbies

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 4 09:43:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 10:22:11 Romeo Ninov wrote:
> > It's good that a newbie wants to help other newbies.  As for the quality
> > of information, I've seen people who have several years of experience
> > give advice that was true years ago but completely wrong now.  A newbie
> > basing his information on what he learned as working for him will at
> > least be up to date.
> >

> Anne, that's true too, but usually information and experience of newbie
> ever it is contemporary is not enough for resolve mid or high complexity
> problems. The only advantage will be for some very general notes and
> suggestions. And ever in this case the advise can be wrong or useless
> (as example - filesystems sizing)

Mid or high complexity problems are not likely to be covered in such a site,
though, are they?  And the advice is no more likely to be wrong than much
advice I've seen from seasoned linuxers.  The big problem is that it takes a
while for users to get to know which particular advisors to believe.  On one
high-volume list I read I would never follow three quarters of the advice I
see there (and no, it's not a ubuntu list), whereas there are maybe half a
dozen contributors that I would trust utterly.  The newbie doesn't know that.

Meanwhile, hostile reception of well-meaning efforts does put off a great many
newbies, which is a real shame.

Anne