[CentOS] OT: workstation recommends: Thinkmate?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Sep 4 20:49:02 UTC 2008

Am 04.09.2008 um 21:36 schrieb Lanny Marcus:

> Barry Olddog wrote:
>> I'm looking to buy a new workstation, and it looks like Thinkmate
>> makes what I need -- their vsx "virtually silent" variety. I
>> hestitate because I  wasn't happy with a laptop I bought a few
>> years ago from a small outfit that sold Linux boxes exclusively.
>> Does anyone have experience with Thinkmate, and in particular, the
>> VSX line? If the later, is it really quiet. I run Centos on four
>> machines now, three of which are Dells, and I'm hoping to do
>> better. The Dell T5400 is close to what I want, but I get more for
>> less from Thinkpad -- at least on paper.
>
> No experience with Thinkmate, or, knowledge of them, but 4 of the 5
> computers in this room are Dell's. If Thinkmate is a long
> established company, with an excellent reputation, buy from them. If
> not, Dell will be around, to support your T5400, for a long time.

Indeed.
But before I spent that much money on a PC, I'd want to *see* it and
hear it. In reality.
Anybody can claim to manufacture a "virtually silent" workstation.

Too bad, Apple is the only vendor that has stores and all models on
display (at least, for desktops - but for a server, noise isn't
relevant anyway).

How much is the price difference actually?

Rainer