[CentOS] Re: USB drive fails at sector 0xFFFFFFF

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Sep 8 19:12:35 UTC 2008

<snip>
>> More than likely it is a problem with the Linux reverse engineered
>> support for a Windows proprietary file system. Why back up to NTFS?
>
> Originally I was backing up across the LAN to the drive attached to my
> XP workstation.
That would isolate the error if it was caused by the NTFS driver. I would use
a linux supported filesystem unless you *need* to be able to look at these
dump files from a windows workstation. Also see if the Manu. has a test
program to verify the drives.
Sometimes a few of the PATA to USB interfaces do some strange things to I/O
streams. I have a drive that would consistently lock my old XP workstations
USB interfaces, but works fine on the new one.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and