[CentOS] Network card help please

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Sep 10 06:49:27 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:

> IRQ's are fully sharable on PCI, all PCI devices can use a single
> hardware IRQ with no problems.

In theory yes, in practice these days usually yes but it's by no
means a guarantee it will work. It's been a few years since I
had IRQ sharing issues, but when it did happen it was on the
PCI bus. Perhaps broken devices, perhaps broken bios(s), who
knows but it can happen. And when dealing with Linksys, I'm
sure the possibility of 'broken devices' skyrockets pretty
fast.

> I'd suggest trying the NIC in a different slot.

Most often what happens in a different slot is a different IRQ
is assigned. (Usually only a small range of IRQs are available
for each PCI slot)

nate