[CentOS] Alarming (?) smartd reports

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Sep 11 05:14:31 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:

> Google is not particularly informative on this subject - anyone know
> more than general suggestions about dd, badblocks, etc.?  This is my
> boot and primary system disk (has been for some time), but the error
> message is essentially meaningless (to me, right now).

Download the manufacturer's tools and run a diagnostics on it,
it will tell you the truth about what's going on.

I wouldn't trust any generic OS tools over the manufacturer's tools,
there was a discussion on this topic on this list I think not too
long ago. The biggest gotcha with the vendor tools though is
they are usually limited in the types of disk controllers they
support.

nate