[CentOS] /etc/rc5.d

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com

Thu Sep 11 12:11:55 UTC 2008

I have a shell script, /usr/bin/joevpn, which does a quick VPN
connect.  Basically (HOST and DOFIL are defined above and are correct.
I just did not list them here)

     case "$1" in

     start)
        date > $DOFIL
        while [ -f $DOFIL ]
        do
                echo y | /usr/local/bin/vpnclient connect $HOST
                sleep 10
        done
        ;;
        # Reconnects in case of disconnect (in while loop)

This works.  And in /etc/init.d I have a runjoevpn (which linked to
/etc/rc5.d/S99runjoevpn).  It works like the others.  Below, $1 is checked
(not shown here for brevity) and if it is "start" then start below is
called:

      start() {
                date >> /root/joe.log
                /usr/bin/joevpn start &
                RES=$?
                return $RES
      }

This all works and everything.  I am just curious as to why when I do
a ps I get this:
        /bin/bash /etc/rc5.d/S99runjoevpn

Shouldn't that init script terminate since I have an "&" when I do the
start() function above? No other rc5 stuff (i.e. tomcat for instance)
shows up in the ps, though tomcat is running, it started up and returned.
Is this OK or am I missing something?