[CentOS] Java install

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 16:26:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 09:16 -0700, nate wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > While using Fedora, I always used java straight from Sun. What is
> > recommended for CentOS?? Getting jetty, java and other java apps working
> > correctly has been a real chore. If I used nothing but RPMs for CEntOS,
> > would I have a real working java install? I need some help on this one
> > badly. Ric
>
> Get it from Sun for now. I think Java 7 is the one that's supposed to
> be fully GPL, Java 6 still has some incompatible bits that Sun is
> re-writing(last I read).
>
> You can get java alternatives like gcj with CentOS, though their
> usefulness is somewhat limited.

Whew. Getting jetty and java all classpath straight and working together
has been a pain. Everything I've read and googled says I done the proper
steps, so it's something I'm not getting right on my end, and to ask the
list to figure it out would be too huge a chore to ask of anyone. I'll
figure it out. The usual fix is just to start over, with the docs at
hand. <grins> Persistence counts in Linux! Do you recommend I uninstall
all rpm's for java/jetty at the same time?? I know some things are going
to squeak about it.

Ric

https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339