[CentOS] Java install

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 18:46:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 13:32 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > While using Fedora, I always used java straight from Sun. What is
> > recommended for CentOS?? Getting jetty, java and other java apps working
> > correctly has been a real chore. If I used nothing but RPMs for CEntOS,
> > would I have a real working java install? I need some help on this one
> > badly. Ric
>
> For your sanity's sake,

Thank you, my sanity is at stake here!

> I'd recommend just dropping the Sun binary(ies)
> under /usr/java/java-version-number and use explicit paths and JAVA_HOME
> and CLASSPATH settings when starting the programs.  Otherwise you'll
> have trouble if you need more than one jvm version.  The Sun RPM package
> doesn't set up the expected symlinks that the alternatives system uses
> and the Centos repos don't have a copy that works either.  There are
> some other RPM-packaged versions around but they may or may not do the
> right thing with alternatives and even if they do, that scheme can only
> work with one jvm version at a time.

I'm used to beating on alternatives now... it's a wonder it can't be
easier though. Well, not really, every distro out there has some unique
formula for where things are put and that is what kills the spread of
Linux for Joe LunchBucket as well as Admins. Hopefully, --one day--,
there will be a 'Grand Unified Theory' for Linux. "I have a dream!" Ric

p/s Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'm not a complete newbie,
but this java thing has a lot of trees in the forest. I just want it to
work correctly and not have an update blow it up (or my meddling,
either!)
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339