[CentOS] Yum-updatesd

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 12 22:07:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 17:15 -0400, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> Finsihing my server set up..
> Yum-updatesd
>
> This is on, via the chkconfig and seems to run a lot.
>
> TO DO: auto update YUM for the computer once a day.
> Files: /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
> Extra: send a mail or add to log file
>
> This is the centos original file and my suggested changes.
> If anyone uses this, do you have something similar?
>
> [main]
> # how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
> run_interval = 3600 (gonna change to 86400 for 24 hours)
>
> # how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
> updaterefresh = 600 (leave as is)
>
> # how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
> emit_via = dbus (change to email, defaults to root I believe)
>
> # should we listen via dbus to give out update information/check for
> # new updates
> dbus_listener = yes (assume no?)
>
> # automatically install updates
> do_update = no (change to yes)
>
> # automatically download updates
> do_download = no (change to yes)
>
> # automatically download deps of updates
> do_download_deps = no (change to yes)
>

> I am not sure about the dbus listener. The documentation, yum wiki, or the
> man pages were not telling me anything.
----
yum-updatesd...I never got it to work in Fedora 7 but it does work in
Fedora 8. I recall a discussion a few months ago that it didn't actually
work in CentOS-5 but perhaps the 5.2 update actually made it work...I
simply don't know.

below is my configuration of /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf that works on
Fedora 8

# cat /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 3600
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = syslog

# automatically install updates
do_update = yes
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes

(I never tried e-mail notifications)

Craig