[CentOS] Problem to run 4 virtual machines at a time.

Wilson Lee wlee337 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 16:10:13 UTC 2008

nate wrote:

>What is vyatta system? From a search the closest I can find is
>some sort of software that provides routing functionality
>
>http://www.vyatta.com/index.php
>
>Is that it ?

Correct.  Vyatta is an open source full-featured router/firewall/vpn solution based on Debian.  It can be installed on a physical computer or virtualized.  Especially in a virtualized environment, Vyatta allows one to easily segregate network segments.  Resource requirements can be very low depending on the level of traffic and features enabled.

I currently use it as my primary home router for my static PPPoE AT&T DSL.  I also use it to provide inter-VLAN routing.

At my previous employment, I used it for inter-VLAN routing - segments for VoIP, LAN, and DMZ.  It worked very well and never had a hiccup.

Best of all, there is no fee for the community edition, with a new version about every 6 months.  There's a subscription service if you want technical support and timely updates.

BTW, I don't work for Vyatta, just a happy user of their product.

Here are the technical specs from their website:

HARDWARE SUPPORT
» 32-bit x86 processors
» PC architecture

INTERFACES
» 10/100/1000 Ethernet cards
» 10 GbE cards
» T1/E1 cards – 1 port
» T1/E1 cards – 2 port
» T1/E1 cards – 4 port
» T3 cards

IP AND ROUTING PROTOCOLS
» IPv4
» OSPFv2
» BGPv4
» RIPv2
» Static routes

IP ADDRESS MANAGEMENT
» Static
» DHCP server
» DHCP client
» DHCP relay

ENCAPSULATIONS
» Ethernet
» 802.1Q VLANs
» PPP
» PPPoE
» MLPPP
» Frame Relay
» HDLC
» GRE, IP-in-IP

LOAD BALANCING
» WAN link load balancing
» MLPPP
» ECMP

QoS
» Priority Queuing
» Classful Queuing
» Bandwidth Management

SECURITY
» Stateful inspection fi rewall
» Network address translation
» IPSec VPN
» Remote VPN (PPTP, L2TP, IPSec)
» DES, 3DES, AES Encryption
» MD5 and SHA-1 Authentication
» RSA, Diffi e Helman Key Management
» NAT Traversal
» RADIUS authentication
» Individual user accounts and passwords

HIGH AVAILABILITY
» VRRP (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol)
» IPSec VPN Clustering
» Protocol fault isolation

ADMINISTRATION
» Integrated CLI