[CentOS] Re: Looking for linphone

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:01:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 15:28, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> Is mock a tool for compiling/running x64 on i386 systems?
>>
>> It's a tool for building RPMs from SRPMs.
>
> Oh, I 'bothered' to look at the man page for mock and see it is for making a
> chroot rpm.  DO I really need it for linphone?  A client program run as a
> user, not as root?

No, mock is to *build* RPMs inside a chroot jail, not to build RPMs of
programs that *run* inside a chroot jail.

mock is useful if you have a 64-bit machine and you want to build
32-bit RPMs. By creating a pure 32-bit environment inside a chroot you
can be sure that the binaries you are buiding inside that environment
will not be
accidentally linked against the 64-bit libraries that exist on your
main environment. If you have a 32-bit OS running and you want to
build a 32-bit RPM, you don't have to bother with mock.

By the way, I have rebuilt several Fedora Core 8, 9 and even
10/development SRPMs in CentOS 5 with a fair rate of success. As long
as they are not core components (such as kernel, glibc, perl, python)
I believe you might be successful with your rebuild. Of course,
sometimes you will have to adjust the specfile to reflect names that
have changed in a new version of Fedora to match the ones used in
Fedora Core 6/CentOS 5, but other than that it's not to hard to make
it build and work. In any case, I suggest you first test your RPM in a
test machine, do not install it directly on a production machine,
because if you break it you got to keep the pieces.

Good luck with your rebuild!
Filipe