[CentOS] Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD - RESOLVED

Chris Geldenhuis

chris.gelden at iafrica.com
Mon Sep 15 20:26:39 UTC 2008

Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 19:38 +0200, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running Centos 4 (fully updated on this box).
>>>
>>> I removed the old DVD writer (/dev/hdc) and installed a new LG GH20
>>> "Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter" with a SATA interface - this
>>> shows up as /dev/scd0.
> <snip>

Hi All,

The solution to the problem (following the good advice received on this
list) turned out to be:

1. Doing a clean install of CentOS 5 on a server and updating to latest
state:

Linux sable.cg-a.co.za 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 5 07:42:41 EDT
2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2.  Using k3b - when doing this, do not select the "New data DVD
project" option as this will not allow you to add the +-8GB iso file.
Instead double click on the iso file and then on start.

3. Interestingly when this is done as root an error message:

:-( unable to anonymously nmap 33554432: Resource temporarily unavailable
Fatal error at startup: Resource temporarily unavailable

is output and the process stops.

4. When running k3b as a normal  user the process completes and the DVD
is usable.

5. I am certain that it will also work using growidofs on the command
line with the same options that k3b generates (although I have not
verified this).

6. None of the above worked on my fully updated CentOS 4 box (it may
have something to do with its being DOM0 for my virtual servers).

Regards

ChrisG