[CentOS] CentOS on Dell Poweredge 2850

Lunix1618 lunix1618 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 09:35:01 UTC 2008

Sorin at Gmail wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Our department's planning to buy a refurbished Dell Poweredge 2850 running
> dual-xeons and with a rather big raid array (8x 146GB).
>
> *My* plan is to install CentOS on this machine and I'd like to hear with you
> guys if there are any gotchas' doing this.
>
> My main concern is the ability of CentOS to recognise the raid-controller of
> the Dell and run a raid5-array as well as drivers for the onboard NICs.

I am running Dell 2950 III and no issue with hardware recognization of
CentOs (5.2 Final)
The one small thing is I can not extend the RAID volume because at the
beginning time we only have 03 HDD now when we buy new HDD we recognize
that RAID controller (PERC 6/i) doesn't support add new HDD to existing
volume :( so only a choice is rebuild it.
HTH,