[CentOS] Kernel source - linux -2.6.18 i386 or i686

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 16 14:49:32 UTC 2008

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> As I plow through the Kernel source to figure out why the BEET patch is not
>> working, I notice that there are two similar directories under
>> ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18:
>>
>> linux-2.16.18.i386 and linux-2.16.18.i686
>>
>> So which one am I suppose to be patching?
>>
>> Currently, the patch starts out with:
>>
>> diff -urN  a/net/ipv4/xfrm4_input.c b/net/ipv4/xfrm4_input.c
>>

>> Anyway, which directory structure gets used in the rpmbuild:
>>
>> rpmbuild -bb --target=`uname -m` kernel-2.6.spec 2> build-err.log | tee
>> build-out.log
>>
>> Do I add this to the patch?
>>

> You need to add the patch file to the SOURCES directory and edit the
> .spec file to include that patch.  This is explained in the wiki
> article you referred to.

Did that. I believe I followed the instructions to a tee.

> If the build fails, please post relevant
> portions of the log files so that we can figure out what went wrong.

I did that a couple of days ago:

Patch #40000
(centos-5.2-hipmod-sleep-beet-and-interfamily-all-in-one.patch):
net/ipv4/xfrm4_output.c.rej
2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv4/esp4.c.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/udp.c.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/tcp_ipv6.c.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/esp6.c.rej
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/ipv6/icmp.c.rej
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/xfrm/xfrm_state.c.rej
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file include/net/xfrm.h.rej
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file include/linux/net.h.rej

====================================

Oh, I had tried patching the kernel both as userid me and as root (this
is set up as a 'throughaway system', so if I mess up as root, I can just
rebuild. The reason for trying with root is one of the developers does
all his compiles as root in fc8, so I was trying to see if there was
something specific to the setup that was not right for building as non-root.

Well anyway, I just checked the system over for one of the 'reject'
files: esp4.c.rej

As userid me, it is in
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.8.i386/net/ipv4. As root it is
in /usr/src/redhat/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.8.i686/net/ipv4. Both
versions ov esp4.c.rej appear identical.