[CentOS] Picasa vs. native photo management apps

Wed Sep 17 00:39:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
> John R Pierce a écrit :
>>
>> Picasa makes managing webalbums on http://picasa.google.com/  really
>> really easy.    thats its main function.  everything else is icing.
>>
> Looks like peeking at other apps makes me discover the ones I've got. I just
> fiddled around with GThumb and discovered a truly great web album utility.
>
> Guess I'll try and persuade my clients to rather go for the 100% GNU/Linux
> solution: GThumb + GIMP.

The GIMP probably is going to require a very *long* learning curve. It
has the power of
Adobe Photoshop and may not be something casual users are going to want
to take the time to learn. I like GThumb and I use it most of the time
for simple things. My wife has tried a bunch of applications
and she  likes Picasa and that's what she uses now.  As I recall, on Linux,
Picasa does install with a slimmed down version of WINE that Google
supplies with it.