[CentOS] Mounting a LVM partition from a linux live cd

Matt Shields

matt at mattshields.org
Wed Sep 17 15:44:19 UTC 2008

I'm running CentOS 5.2, it uses LVM to manage the disks and we had a
programmer do something (not sure what) then reboot the system.  When it
came up it kernel panicked.  Luckily it's not production, it was their
sandbox.  But they didn't backup any of their files.  I know the disks are
fine because I was able to boot from a linux live cd and mount the /boot
partition from the sda drive, and the sdb drive that has the mysql database
mounted at /var/lib/mysql and not using LVM.   What I don't know how to do
is mount /dev/sda2 (root / partition) which is an LVM/ext3 partition.  Does
anyone have the steps to mount this drive while booted into a linux live cd?

--
-matt