[CentOS] email and MS outlook

Paul Bijnens Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com
Thu Sep 18 10:32:20 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-18 12:05, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Mag Gam <magawake at gmail.com wrote:
>
>     We use Microsoft Outlook heavy at school but our backed is CentOS. I
>     use echo "Foo" | mail -s "subject" addr at unc.edu a lot. Is it possible
>     to change the priority to High so Outlook will understand it? The
>     priority meaning the email will be sent to the normal email queue but
>     on Outlook it would have the exclamation point.
>

> man mail will show you how to change the priority, sender, and much more :)

   $ man mail | grep -i priority | wc -l
   0
   $ rpm -q centos-release
   centos-release-5-2.el5.centos.x86_64

Actually, I think MS LookOut expects some header line indicating the
priority.  But added an arbitary header line is not possible using mail
(or mailx).  To add the required header, you would need to format
the whole mail message, including all the standard required headers,
plus the header line indicating a priority for displaying an exclamation
mark in MS LookOut, and then sending that message of using "sendmail"
itself.
Or you could use some perl/python/php/ruby script that does all this
for you.

Mail/mailx/mail cannot add the header.
But I'm open to learn something new...

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *