[CentOS] How to create a virtual bonded interface?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Sep 18 17:36:21 UTC 2008

John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a server with 4 NICS running CentOS 5.2. I have bonded the
> interfaces together such that 'bond0' consists of eth0-3. This is not a
> problem, and works fine.

That is fine, just be sure not to have the bonding specific
things in the sub interface, just have the IP/subnet/device name
(bond0:1 etc).

> For info, 'ifconfig' output shows:

> bond0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Somehow I doubt ifconfig reports your MAC address as xx:xx:xx..

You do realize that your MAC address is useless outside of your
local layer 2 subnet right.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-September/064541.html

nate