[CentOS] Re: Strange ! characters inserted into emails

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Sep 18 21:31:12 UTC 2008

on 9-18-2008 9:29 AM Sean Carolan spake the following:
> I have never encountered anything like this before, so thought I'd post
> here and see if anyone can help.
>
> We have a java application that sends out notification emails to
> end-users.  The body of the email is some boilerplate text and HTML that
> is pulled from a database.  When the emails are received there are
> random instances of " !" (that's a space and a bang symbol) inserted
> into the email in various locations.  For example a sentence that is
> supposed to read like this:
>
> The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
>
> ends up looking like this:
>
> The quick b !rown fox jumped over the laz !y dog.
>
> We combed through the source text and didn't find any unusual characters
> in the body of the text.  Somehow these bang symbols are being inserted
> after the mail is handed off to sendmail.  Does anyone have an idea how
> I can troubleshoot this further?  Or maybe you've seen something similar
> in your environment?
>
> thanks
>
> Sean
Is it text based mail, or HTML?
I have seen things like this during base64 or quoted printable encoding on
some HTML mails from Outlook. If it is encoding, the bangs should repeat in a
fairly repeatable pattern.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and