[CentOS] Strange ! characters inserted into emails

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Fri Sep 19 02:58:15 UTC 2008

Sean Carolan wrote:
> I have never encountered anything like this before, so thought I'd post
> here and see if anyone can help.
>
> We have a java application that sends out notification emails to
> end-users.  The body of the email is some boilerplate text and HTML that
> is pulled from a database.  When the emails are received there are
> random instances of " !" (that's a space and a bang symbol) inserted
> into the email in various locations.  For example a sentence that is
> supposed to read like this:
>
> The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
>
> ends up looking like this:
>
> The quick b !rown fox jumped over the laz !y dog.
>
> We combed through the source text and didn't find any unusual characters
> in the body of the text.  Somehow these bang symbols are being inserted
> after the mail is handed off to sendmail.  Does anyone have an idea how
> I can troubleshoot this further?  Or maybe you've seen something similar
> in your environment?

I can save you a lot of trouble, you are sending more than 2040+
characters (almost 2048) without a newline. I resolved this in my
send2blogger program (it's perl). See:

http://www.linuxha.com/other/send2blogger/index.html

It Perl but I think I did a good job of explaining it in the code.
I hope this helps. Oh, it's GPL I should put that up there.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com