[CentOS] Re: Install X from DVD

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 19 14:58:16 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:
>> />>/ If you haven't done *any* upgrade on that machine yet, use the
>> />>/ CentOS-Media repo (the .repo file is where all other .repo files are).
>> />>/
>> />>/ Disable all other repos, enable that and do a "yum grouplist". You'll
>> /   ^^^^^^^                  ^^^^^^
>> />/
>> />/ Ok part of my problem was I was mounting the DVD under /mnt/cdrom
>> />/ instead of /media/cdrom.
>> />/
>> />/ yum repolist gives
>> />/ yum repolist
>> />/ repo id              repo name                                 status
>> />/ addons               CentOS-5 - Addons                         enabled
>> />/ base                 CentOS-5 - Base                           enabled
>> />/ extras               CentOS-5 - Extras                         enabled
>> />/ updates              CentOS-5 - Updates                        enabled
>> />/
>> />/ however when I do the "yum grouplist"
>> />/ its still trying to do the network yum not MEDIA repo and I get errors.
>> />/
>> />/ I am still missing something.o
>> /
>> I underlined it for you.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
> Sorry, I wasnt getting the first time. I never had the edit the repo
> files before and change
> enabled=1 for the Media
> then add the line
> enabled=0 to every base repo.
>
> So now it starts off and looks like its going to do it but then it says
> failed dependencies on openssh4.3p2-26.el5
>
> Jerry
I'm not sure how you got to that point while trying to install X on that
machine but UNLESS there has been other stuff added from
who-knows-where, yum will resolve the dependencies.  That's what yum does.
(You did read the 1st sentence of Ralph's 1st reply, right?  -- "If you
haven't done *any* upgrade on that machine yet,....")?

Once that system has been cross-pollinated, all bets are off.  If you
*have* loaded that baby down with updates and/or packages from Fedora,
EPEL, rpmforge, sourceforge, etc., then you will likely have a bunch of
head-scratchin' in your near and distant future. Un-bastardization is
kinda like un-ringing a bell.