[CentOS] Multiple Linux instances on the same box - dual/triple/etc boot ?

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 21:00:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 13:52 -0600, kevin kempter wrote:
> I'd like to install each OS/version into it's own space on the disk.
> I'm thinking all I have to do is install one OS (say CentOS 64bit) and
> partition say 20% of the disk. Then once the install is done, boot
> into the latest fedora disk and do the same, etc.
>
> Is this correct ?

Yes, but you should probably use a shared /boot, which means 3 things:

1) Make /boot larger. 350MB should do.

2) ONLY format /boot during the FIRST installation. Each install will
throw its kernel in there, so formatting it after would be bad.

3) Change the menu entry name during each install, and don't forget to
change the name of the entry added each time you install/update a
kernel.