[CentOS] CentOS on a Sunfire 880

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 22:23:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:

> Am 21.09.2008 um 22:59 schrieb Bernard 'Tux' Lheureux:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just received a SunFire 880 machine and would like to install CentOS
>> on it I think it is possible but should be very interested on advices
>> and tips & tricks on how to do it the best way...
>> Thanks for your help...
>

> Does CentOS actually exist for SPARC?
>
> You can (and should) install Solaris on it. (Trying to go with CenOS on this
> box is bordering the bizarre, IMO).
> What specs does your V880 have?
>
> I'm always puzzled why people would go to great lengths just to install
> _favorite_OS on some hardware that is otherwise fully supported by
> _native_OS.

Well having spent a week on Solaris 10.. I can understand why. Most of
the tools I am used to getting in a base install of CentOS are not
there.. and I will be spending most of this week getting various tools
installed so that the programmers do not need to have a crazy chain of
if/else logic to deal with OS of the week.

In the end, the need for diversity of Unix's is good to see what ideas
are better in the long run, but when it makes development slower... it
becomes a drag that causes the out-liers to be tossed :/. So in those
cases you end up replacing Solaris with Linux or some other OS that
you are familiar with.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux