[CentOS] CentOS on a Sunfire 880

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:02:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 21 September 2008 06:23:54 pm Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Well having spent a week on Solaris 10.. I can understand why. Most of
>> the tools I am used to getting in a base install of CentOS are not
>> there.. and I will be spending most of this week getting various tools
>> installed so that the programmers do not need to have a crazy chain of
>> if/else logic to deal with OS of the week.
>
> If that's your only complaint then download the latest version of Nevada.
> Build 98 has a lot of the software you miss in Sol10. Not quite on
> OpenSolaris level but its a big step up anyway.
>
> Oh, and make sure /usr/sfw is actually in your path...

Hmmm that might be my problem. I had not looked at what additional
paths were there. The boxes I am supposed to support are 2.7,2.8,2.9
and 2.10 so I am going to have to figure out a way to 'unify' them as
much as possible without breaking the core application's needs.

> Linux/Sparc is fragile at best. Even Ubuntu/Sparc on a T2000 (a Sun certified
> configuration) isn't nearly as stable as Solaris on the same HW.

Sounds like it was back when Red Hat was shipping it in 5.x..

> Peter.

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux