[CentOS] Sendmail and headers

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Mon Sep 22 13:17:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 08:56:18AM -0400, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> At last a lifeline.
> That would be the canonical hostname right, the $j?
>
> So would you use masquerade or some kind of local_domain setting to make the
> receiving client see the proper information in ehlo relating to the domain
> that sent it?
> So the server would respond to the request with the proper ip and
> mailmydomain.com instead of server ip and serverhostname.
>
> Hey...and thanks for any help. This last bit is killing me.

The IP address reported is the _actual_ IP address of the machine
connecting, not the IP address of the "ehlo" response.  You can't
masquerade that in sendmail at all.

If you set the canonical name (Dj, confDOMAIN_NAME) then your machine
will pretend to be that name for sending/receiving/EHLO etc etc.

So the _hostname_ shown in the EHLO response can be changed, but the
IP address can _not_.

--

rgds
Stephen