[CentOS] Re: Request info on managing MySQL

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Mon Sep 22 15:22:04 UTC 2008

> I do believe that a default install of Mysql leaves no root
> password, which you *should* add as soon as you start the service.
> > 	So the end result of this message is simply can someone
> point me to the
> > howto use mysql on CentOS/RHEL info.  I just need to be
> able to start
> > adding db's and such.  Once there I'm good to go.
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > Joe

A standard install of centos and mysql will have 4 items you need to be
concerned with.

There will be 2 anonymous users databases and 2 roots...

You should delete the 2 anaonymous immediately and add a password for the
two roots.

For the root

shell> mysql -u root
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = 'paswrd1';
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'host_name' = 'passwrd2';

While in mysql as root,
delete from mysql.user where user='';
(this will get rid of anonymous users.

Anonymous will allow people to access your mysql server without a password.
Until you add passwords to root, you are also highly insecure.

Im too busy trying to figure out sendmail right now...lol