[CentOS] non-graphics install or fix xorg.conf?

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Sep 24 12:36:12 UTC 2008

Trying the to install on the OQO, and hitting up against one problem I
see a lot in the comments about installing various distros on it.  That
is its screen size.

So I could install using the text installation except...

What is the command line for text install and askmethod so I can use
HTTP to access my local repo?  What do I add to 'linux askmethod'?  And
if I go the text install route, can I do all of my custom disk
partitioning? I seem to recall from when I fell intotext install on a
system without enough memory, that I could not work with LVM in text mode.

Or

Can I set the video size in that 'linux askmethod' line?  Here is a
sample xorg.conf I have found:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Silicon Motion, Inc. SM720 Lynx3DM"
        Driver          "vesa"
#        Driver          "siliconmotion" # need to modify the driver
first before using
        BusID           "PCI:0:6:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
        Modeline "800x480" 40 800 864 928 1088 480 481 484 509 +HSync
EndSection

IF I have to go with a custom kickstart file from diskette (Drive a:), I
suppose I could put the hardware together for it.  I would need a
powered USB hub (around here somewhere), my USB diskette drive, along
with the USB CDrom....

How best to proceed?

Oh, for my custom disk partitioning, besides the ext3 partition for
/boot, I create a separate swap partition of memory x 2 (=2Gb).  Then
the LVM partition has two ext3 partitions, one for / around 12Gb, and
the other for /home as the rest.  The drive is a 60Gb drive, so I might
make / bigger:

ext3   /boot   100mb
swap              2Gb
LVM               Rest of drive (to 512byte multiple)
    ext3   /          12Gb
    ext3   /home   rest of LVM