[CentOS] usb irq problem

partha chowdhury kira.laucas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 15:15:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 07:09 -0700, nate wrote:

> I wouldn't think the system is about to fail if it's just going
> slower. If there are specific error messages that point to it's
> failing then maybe. Errors quoted earlier just seem like bad
> hardware(perhaps poorly designed or built, rather than hardware
> that is physically failing).

well i myself have assembled this box. did i do something wrong because
it is running fine for last 10 months without any hiccups and other than
this minor issue no problem at all.

> Only thing I can suggest is to just verify that the drive is
> detected as USB 2.0 via lsusb -v
>
> e.g.
>  Bus 004 Device 020: ID 1058:0702 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
> [..]
>   iManufacturer           1 Western Digital
>   iProduct                2 External HDD
>
> I believe the 2.00 indicates USB 2.0, I see several other
> devices on my USB that are marked as 1.x

here is my output

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0702 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x05e3 Genesys Logic, Inc.
  idProduct          0x0702 USB 2.0 IDE Adapter
  bcdDevice            0.33
  iManufacturer           0
  iProduct                1 USB TO IDE
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower               96mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               1

you can see it is detected as usb2.0.

> If you configured your system's kernel to ignore the irq errors
> as the other poster did(I think your a different poster..didn't
> check), you really should remove that option and enable the
> checking again, and try a PCI USB expansion card instead and
> see if that helps.

actually it was i who sent it. i sent it through gmail so it did not
insert my name just my email id. usually i send through evolution. i did
not know this issue. apology for the unintentional mixups.

i want to know one thing  - the hardware failing logic you earlier spoke
of  - is that disabled or removed in latest 2.6.26.5 kernel because i
experimented with custom compiling that kernel and did not receive any
error message whatsoever.