[CentOS] Problem in Wireless Card Setup in Dell Precision M90

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 17:27:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Ashish Vijaywargiya
<vijaywargiya.ashish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> This is my first post on CentOS mailing list.
> I am using CentOS since last 3 years and using Linux since 2003.
> I am Java Based ERP(http://ofbiz.apache.org/) developer and I truly
> appreciate the stability of CentOS as the Desktop machine for the
> developers.

> My Wireless card details is "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG".

> I have installed the package dkms-ipw3945.noarch and it has installed all
> the dependent package for wireless card to work properly.
>
> When I put command modprobe ipw3945 then it didn't give any error.
> My LED is glowing properly.
>
> I have spent more then 10 hours on this and now I am looking to have some
> community help on my problem.
> Any help or pointer on this would be greatly appreciated .

The  ipw3945 is deprecated and replaced by the iwl3945 driver.  So you
might to want to give the current one a try.  iwl3945 is enabled in
the centosplus kernel (but not in the distro kernel).  You would need
to install the firmware file into /lib/firmare.  For more details, see
this earlier post:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-September/064116.html

Akemi