[CentOS] Problem in Wireless Card Setup in Dell Precision M90

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 11:15:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Ashish Vijaywargiya
<vijaywargiya.ashish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Akemi,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I have seen the details in the thread and after reading that thread I have
> few questions :-
>
> 1) Can I install the Centos Plus kernel with the existing one that is
> distributed with Centos 5.2?
> I have read the information from the link
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus
> It looks like that I have to include / exclude the package.
> I had changed the settings inside /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo.
>
> #additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
> [centosplus]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
>
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=centosplus
>
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
>
> enabled=1
> gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
>
> includepkgs=iwl*

Remove this line ( includepkgs=iwl*).  You do not need it.  Instead,
see Example #2 of the CentOSPlus wiki article.  You need to add:

exclude=kernel kernel-devel kernel-PAE-*

in the [base] and [update] sections.  This way, yum will get the
kernel from the centosplus repo instead of the distro kernel.

After installing the centosplus kernel, reboot the system and try your
wireless again.  The iwl3945 is *part* of the centosplus kernel.  More
precisely, it is also part of the distro kernel except that it is
disabled there.

Akemi