[CentOS] Moving folder just vanished??

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 12:00:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 12:20 +0100, Stewart Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone explain or give an clues as to what just happened?
>
> I'm running CentOS 5.2 as a desktop with Gnome. Fully up to date, etc.
>
> I was dragging a folder of image (.jpg) files to another folder on the
> same filesystem (LVM ext3) with the mouse and as I dropped the folder
> into the new folder - poof! - it disappeared like a puff of smoke.
>
> I've searched everywhere for the files/and or folder and they are
> totally gone.
>
> I must also point out that the filesystem was an encrypted one using
> fuse-encfs.
>
> In all my years of using Linux, I've never seen this happen before.
>
> Sadly I have no backup as I'd just copied them from an SD card to the
> HDD then formated the card - maybe I was too quick doing that step.

As with your experience, I doubt that it's really gone. More likely you
just can't find it.

I suggest using find (man find) to look for one of the files that is
contained only in that folder. E.g.

find /home/<user>/ -iname abc.jpg

If you don't know a precise file name, surround it with single quotes
and use a meta-character, e.g.

find /home/<user>/ -iname 'a*.jpg'

Good luck.

HTH