[CentOS] Network installation from CD

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Sun Sep 28 20:59:25 UTC 2008

Hi,

In a corporate environment we are not allowed to use DHCP/PXE for doing network
installations. This means we have to look for other solutions. Our solution is
to use an ISO image (mounted via a KVM solution) to kick off the network
installation.

A big problem currently is that the order of the network interfaces is
arbitrary (depends on the order of the drivers loaded) and is not influence by
the order of the PCI slots. So in our case we have a bunch of e1000, bnx2 and
tg3 in systems we have to install.

The first onboard interface (usually tg3 or bnx2) almost never is eth0, but
instead can be eth2, eth3 or higher. (Depending on the number of "other" NICs)
This is problematic because Anaconda never gives a very good analysis of why
the download of the kickstart fails. Very unpleasant if you want system
deployements done by Service Operations.

So our solution was to provide  ksdevice=MAC-ADDRESS , which works fine in the
first phase for downloading the kickstart file, but then the kickstart file
again has a network-directive with a  --device=  parameter to configure
the network again in the second phase.

Here is where the trouble starts.

The  --device=  cannot handle MAC addresses, in other words if we ommit
the  --device=  parameter we get a list of interfaces, which we do not
want because the list does not indicate which one is the right interface.

Using  ksdevice=bootif  and providing  BOOTIF=MAC-ADDRESS  on the commandline
does not help either because the second phase always wants to reconfigure the
network.

In fact we don't want the second phase to reconfigure the network, we want it
to keep the working network configuration from the first phase which
worked fine for downloading the kickstart file.

So here's my question:

    Is there a way to have the second phase network configuration NOT take
    place, or have it use the interface that was correctly downloading the
    kickstart file ?

I could not find it anywhere and none of my tests seem to indicate that this is
at all possible.

This is on RHEL/CentOS 4.6.