[CentOS] USB external HDD error messages

notconfusedaboutthattoday at gmail.com notconfusedaboutthattoday at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 23:34:17 UTC 2008

partha chowdhury wrote:
> Guest3731 wrote:
> > Hi - relatively inexperienced user here.  I installed CentOS 5.2
> > yesterday (http install via a mirror, worked brilliantly), as well as a
> > new Seagate 1Tb USB external HDD (from the new Xtreme line), for
> > backup/media storage.
> [snip]
> if you take it out and put it back again is it automatically mounted and
> can kernel see it when you do fdisk -l ?

Strange.  I took it out and put it back again, and the kernel noticed
that it was installed:

SCSI device sdf: 1963525168 512-byte hdwr sectors (100205 MB)
<etc.>

And it showed up as sdf when I did fdisk -l.  However, when I ran
"mount," this is what appeared:

/dev/sde1 on /mnt/seagate1 type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sde2 on /mnt/seagate2 type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

So apparently it's still mounted as /dev/sde1[2], but incorrectly?  Very
strange.

Next, I umounted both /dev/sde1 and /dev/sde2, receiving error messages
on the console about "lost page write due to I/O error on sde1 [and 2]"

I've re-plugged it, and it's been recognized as /dev/sde.  I ran a
"mount -a" and it's been picked up by the system.

No clue where to go from here.  Thanks for your help -