[CentOS] USB external HDD error messages

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 08:52:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Guest
<notconfusedaboutthattoday at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to double up on your answer like this, but is there any chance that
> the i/o errors are due to a bad usb cable, or usb card in the main
> computer?  I didn't mention before that the external hdd that the seagate is
> replacing also reported a lot of i/o errors and kept disconnecting itself,
> which is why I replaced it....

Have you tried using a different USB cable, and maybe a different USB
controller?  That would narrow down your search parameters a bit.

You can also try running Seagate's Seatools program - it is available
for Linux from their web site, but you have to poke around a little to
find it.

Also, have you tried any other diagnostics to see what might be the problem?

mhr