[CentOS] Re: scp partition "not a regular file"

henry ritzlmayr centos at rc0.at
Mon Sep 29 20:29:56 UTC 2008

Am Montag, den 29.09.2008, 09:27 -0700 schrieb nate:
> henry ritzlmayr wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > should it be possible to scp a partition with this command:
> >
> > scp /dev/sda7 backupserver:/backup/sda7.img
>
> /dev/sda7 is just a file, if you copy it it doesn't mean you'll
> copy the contents of the partition you'll just copy the block
> file itself, equivalent to running the mknod command on the
> other end.
>
> You need to stream the contents of the file to get the data from
> it, like your dd example.
>
> nate

Thanks for the answer nate, I get your idea.
There are just a few odd things with it.

scp backupserver:/backup/sda7.img /dev/sda7

Works like a charm - meaning it copies the content.

cp /dev/sda7 /backup/sda7.img

Works like a charm as well.

And the research for example:

http://sammoffatt.com.au/knowledge-base-mainmenu/6-daily-linux/9-scp-and-ssh

Describes exactly this procedure - which looks like it works there.

Henry