[CentOS] Firefox distorted printing

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Sep 30 23:31:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 12:05:37AM +0200, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running a fully updated CentOS 4 box. Since the last few rounds of
> updates - upgrading to the latest Firefox, I find that I can not print
> Bank statements etc ( .ps files when saved to disk). The Bank's logo and
> any lines on the form print OK but the actual content is distorted
> beyond recognition - printing a series of special characters
> (!"$%&#'(") instead of transaction descriptions or amounts. Has anyone
> else experienced this or have a suggestion on how to fix the problem.
>
> Other preformatted documents like supplier invoices are also not printed
> as well formatted as before (html documents) but appear all squashed up
> instead of filling the page vertically.

I have a similr issue with a Centos 4 system at work, on which i've
installed FF3.

My solution is to send my printouts to a different printer where they
print perfectly!

I've got an old HP Laserjet 4 at my desk, and that browser on that OS
prints mostly junk characters on that printer. There's also a HP 4250
outside my door, and that browser/OS combination prints fine on that
printer.

I've not pursued it beyond noting that I can print on the other printer,
but given that I had to find packages providing a whole bunch of updated
libraries in order to even get FF3 to work at all, I'd imagine there's
some weird interactions going on there.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?