[CentOS] "Linux aux petits oignons" - Book about Linux, based on CentOS 5.x

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Apr 1 10:38:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm currently busy finishing "Linux aux petits oignons", a practical
introduction to Linux, aimed primarily at the frustrated Windows user.
This is the first of two volumes, it's written in french, and all
examples in the book are based on CentOS. (Note: looks like I'll have to
update some screenshots to 5.3 :oD)

Usually the first question that arises is: why not base your book on
Ubuntu/Fedora/SuSE/whatever? I answer that question in the book, but in
short: I'm using Linux professionally, both on server and desktop, and
my distro of choice for both is CentOS. It's one of those rare distros
where you login and everything Just Works(tm). I'm aware of the few
drawbacks (recent hardware, latest version of apps, yadda yadda), but I
can live with that.

Another thing you will maybe notice: I'm not shy about introducing
newbies to the commandline. Usually Linux books for beginners seem more
and more GUI-centered, but I'm taking the opposite way, preferring to
explain simple and basic UNIX concepts. (The heck if I lose 90% of
prospective readers who will rather go off and buy "Simple comme Ubuntu"
:oD)

Here's the - almost - final version of the manuscript. It will go to the
graphist sometime next week. Until then, maybe you're curious and want
to take a glimpse:

http://www.kikinovak.net/download/LinuxAuxPetitsOignons.pdf
http://www.kikinovak.net/download/Captures.tar.gz

If you have any comments, suggestions, if you want to point out the odd
typo or mistake, feel free to do so. I can take them into account until
maybe the end of next week, before the folks in the layout department do
their job.

One last thing: since this is not the final version, please don't
disseminate it too much.

Enjoy,

Niki Kovacs (a.k.a Kiki Novak)