[CentOS] filesystem rpm fails when /home is NFS mounted

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Fri Apr 3 04:23:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Hywel Richards wrote:

> I've got 7 machines here with NFSed /home (and the same problem with the
> filesystem rpm).
>
> Should I implement the workaround suggested by Russ for each machine, or
> will a fixed rpm come along eventually? (I'm not impatient!)

Thank you for the confirmation,  I have not had a chance to
file in the centos tracker yet, and hope to get it filed
tomorrow's business hours.  Similarly I have not checked
upstream's tracker yet.  If needee, I'll file there as well,
but I cannot imagine it will be deemed so critical as to pull
a fast fix.

The fix will not be unilaterally placed in 'updates' by the
CentOS team; we will note issue [ahh, I need to edit the
online release notes -- good thing the wiki page reminds users
to check back from time to time]

The takeaway is to use the process I outlined, and all should
be fine.  There are some more complex ways to do it by
tracking down and clearing all processes reaching into /home
and holding flies, but not worth the geek points being able to
explain it confer.

-- Russ herrold