[CentOS] filesystem rpm fails when /home is NFS mounted

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:54:31 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> I have /home exported and ran the upgrade from this laptop over the
>>> network, where that directory is mounted and displayed in a folderview
>>> under KDE4.  I had no problems whatsoever.  Is this the sort of situation
>>> you mean?
>> yup -- exports to another would not be affected by
>> root_squash.
>>
>> To some degree, the fact that upstream did not detect the
>> issue, and I missed it in testing, was a wry observation that
>> the 'old ways' of a common set of /home/ exported from a very
>> reliably 'up' box through an office, is passing away.
>>
>> The takeaway was that I need to 'test as I do, and do as I
>> test'.  My testing regime will have to include 'cloning' a
>> test box, and simply 'moving into it' for an afternoon when
>> doing 'updates' QA testing.
>>
> I took it for granted that CentOS would be server, not client.  Silly to
> assume anything, I guess.

I've found it somewhat useful in development/test scenarios to export
/home via nfs and samba from a physical machine, then use one or more
vmware guests with the testing framework that mount the shared /home
with the developers using the vmware guest machine for their work.  The
guests often run on the same physical host as the home directories but
are somewhat disposable and easy to replace.  The samba share from the
physical side is more efficient than doing it from a guest and gives
windows users easy access.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com