[CentOS] warning for nis users and 5.3 upgrade

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Apr 3 21:53:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 15:40 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Folks, be sure to do an updatedb and then locate rpmsave and rpmnew
> >after upgrading the system. Then you can make sure your local changes
> >get propagated into the updated system.
>
> If the case is a file gets overwritten, and not a case of a file gets
> copied to a new one called *.rpm{save|new} during an upgrade, what
> exactly does the above do?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

I presume that was a rhetorical question. Fortunately for me, I have not
hit that situation.. But I have a very small simple desktop setup. Folks
that provide services have it much tougher.

I would presume that those follow "best practices", like having test
platforms, backups of locally changed files, well defined, documented
and executed transition plans and testing, ...

Am I in the right universe? I remember those days and nothing that we
planned on ever got done when management decided things were too hot to
do all that. It was easy 'cause he was at home sleeping while we picked
up the pieces.

They used to ask why I was "so hard to manage". <harumph>

> <snip sig stuff>

Not letting bad memories ruin a *beautiful* Friday,

--
Bill